May 14, 2018

Gorsuch and Trump

Back in 2017, when President Trump took office and nominated Neil Gorsuch to fill the vacancy in the supreme court, I noted that Gorsuch had a much more restrained outlook on federal power than Trump. I even predicted (if only I had this blog going at the time so I could link it ... oh well, maybe next time!) that at some point during Trump's tenure he would be trying to do something controversial and the man he nominated would be the swing vote to say "No, you really don't have the power to do that."

Well, it has happened. Just a couple weeks ago I saw the news Neil Gorsuch joins liberals in 5-4 decision. I like that Gorsuch is already asserting his ability to make decisions based on his own principles rather than just following the party line. It looks like the nomination of Gorsuch to the Supreme Court may be one of the best things to come out of the Trump Presidency.

-

No comments: